Welcome to CoModIDE
CoModIDE is the Comprehensive Modular Ontology IDE – a plugin for the Protégé ontology editor that supports graphical drag-and-drop based composition of ontologies, supported by an embedded Ontology Design Pattern library. It is developed jointly by the Data Semantics Lab at Kansas State University, USA and the Jönköping AI Lab at Jönköping University, Sweden. CoModIDE is in early days and undergoing rapid development – so feel free to try it out and suggest feature improvements or bug fixes.
Use the Protégé plugins repository,
File/Check for plugins.... Check CoModIDE and select install. Alternatively, install manually using these instructions:
- Go to the latest CoModIDE release page.
- Expand the “Assets” symbol, and download the precompiled JAR file called CoModIDE-X.Y.Z-SNAPSHOT.jar (where X.Y.Z is a version number).
- Find your Protégé plugins directory. The location of this directory varies. On Windows and Linux machines, it is commonly a subdirectory of the Protégé install directory called “plugins”. On a Mac it is typically nested inside the Protégé app bundle; find your Protégé.app file, right click on it, select “Show package contents”, and navigate to the subdirectory Contents/Java/plugins.
- Copy the previously downloaded JAR file into this directory.
- Launch Protégé.
- Activate the CoModIDE tab through the menu Window/Tabs/Comodide (on Mac, exact menu structure may differ on Linux/Windows systems)
For a demonstration of CoModIDE features, see the below video.
If you want to refer to CoModIDE in publications, please see the below references.
ESWC 2020 research paper evaluating CoModIDE (nominated as Best Research Paper): Shimizu C., Hammar K., Hitzler P. (2020) Modular Graphical Ontology Engineering Evaluated. In: Harth A. et al. (eds) The Semantic Web. ESWC 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12123. Springer, Cham.
ISWC 2019 Poster paper introducing CoModIDE: Shimizu, C., Hammar, K. (2019), CoModIDE – The Comprehensive Modular Ontology Engineering IDE. In: Mari Carmen Suárez-Figueroa, Gong Cheng, Anna Lisa Gentile, Christophe Guéret, Maria Keet, Abraham Bernstein (ed.), Proceedings of the ISWC 2019 Satellite Tracks (Posters & Demonstrations, Industry, and Outrageous Ideas), CEUR Workshop Proceedings Volume 2456
ESWC 2021 Tutorial
Our tutorial on CoModIDE will be held from 09:00 through 12:30 CEST; for details, see the tutorial page.